Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yoga As a Tool

I wrote in my journal this morning that I am grateful for my love of yoga. I am grateful for the practice of the asanas (physical postures) as a tool. It is in the practice of the asanas that the laziness, stiffness and the feeling or thought of not wanting to do things fall away. Practicing backbends, headstands, handstands, arm balances are invigorating! Just doing the Surya Namaskar (Salutations to the Sun) wakes you up and gives me enthusiasm! It is so simple to rejuevenate oneself through the physical postures of yoga.
It is also in the practice of teaching yoga that I learn alot as well. Like the other day while I was teaching a yoga class and instructing them to breath fully and fill their lungs like balloons, I was struck with a profound thought. To be aware of their breathing helps to keep them in the present moment. And as we use balloons to celebrate, in the same way by expanding our lungs (as balloons) we too celebrate the present which is the biggest party there is - life!
Again yoga to me is a great tool in everyday life and helps me to always be om! Start practicing yoga today and see for your self.
Until next time

2 comments:

C. Om said...

Great post. I agree! It is amazing what focusing on your breath alone can do for quieting your mind and keeping you in the moment. Concentration on physically moving and positioning your body can only be done in the here and now. I can see why it is so theraputic.

bometernally said...

I totally agree with you. It is amazing what focusing on your breath can do for the mind body and spirtit. And it is even more amazing that something that is with us everyday keeping the body alive is not utilized consciously in this way!

Thank you C.Om for your comments.