Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bondage and Liberation (YS II - 25)


As human beings we perform actions on a daily basis that are either beneficial or detrimental to ourselves. Case in point is that we tend to have attachments to keeping things the same. You could call it our comfort zone. We like to go to the same places to eat, eat the same things, or watch television and/or movies. Or we stay in the same job for years because we are used to it. In today's society people want to keep the body from aging. So they might even have plastic surgery to "keep things the same". These actions of repetition could be referred to as a bondage.


On the other side of the coin, we don't perform the constant awareness of being fully present in each moment that we live. Somehow we do not become attached to just experiencing things as they are, especially without judgement. Like if I am rushing to a class I might not notice my peripheral surroundings as much as just focusing on the road to get to the destination. It is very easy to not "see and feel" as I drive along. Or I could give the example that I know that I am scheduled to teach a class at a certain time. Thoughts come in like:
  • how will the class go?
  • will there be many people in the class?
  • I'm tired and I want to go home.
By becoming aware of this other side of the coin, I can take actions that can lead to liberation. Then when I am not rushing, taking it slower and make a conscious effort to just experience the drive or the walk fully, it feels liberating. Or what usually happens is when I am in the class I witness the flow of energy of the class and how it dictates the manner and what postures I teach. I further notice that I get energized doing the class and I share that enthusiasm with the class which is also liberating. It turns into me being fully present.


In Swami Satchidananda's commentary of The Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali II- 25 "Without this ignorance, no such union occurs. This is the independence of the Seer" , he states "The cause of bandha and moksha (bondage and liberation) is our own minds. If we think we are bound, we are bound. If we think we are liberated, we are liberated......It is only when we transcend the mind that we are free from all these troubles."


So how do we transend the mind? We can begin to do so through the practice of yoga. Observing and using our bodies, mind and breath are valuable tools can start us on the road from bondage to liberation.

2 comments:

*** said...

Yes... we are creatures of habit! This can be a good thing or a bad thing. But, for the most part, I see we engage this in the negative, as you so clearly expressed in this post.

Yesterday, I was invited to join a group of people (whom I didn't know very well) on their traditional "after Thanksgiving walk in the woods". Although this sounded like it could be fun, I was quite comfortable sticking with my own routine 'set' for that day. Ultimately I chose to go. As you may have guessed, it was a magical experience.

Reading, writing, meditating... are all wonderful tools, but there is no substitute for engaging with others in loving awareness - sharing, and thus expanding, spirit.

The key to liberation, as you so noted, is engaging with 'open eyes' - in the moment.

bometernally said...

You are so right SS. "There is no substitute for engaging with others in loving awareness." I'm glad you had a magical experience!.

Thank you for your insightful comments.