Sunday, November 9, 2008

Yama and Discipline












Yama is a sanskrit word which has many meanings in different contexts. It could mean restraint and discipline which is what I am referring to here. Yama is the first limb of yoga as defined in the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali It explains the codes of ethical behavior to be looked at and followed daily. Yama has five principles which I will go into another time.

Then there is the word discipline which has various meanings. For most of us, according to our perspective, it could have negative and or positive connotations. The discipline I am referring to is regularity; following a certain order. Discipline is important in practicing the many aspects of yoga. In fact it is the key in mastering yoga.

I remember many years ago, when I first stayed at an ashram for a couple of weeks. An ashram is an abode of spiritual teacher; a place for disciplined community living. There was a certain time to get up, to do spiritual practices- like meditation, chanting, seva (selfless service), eating and going to bed. It was very new to me. Learning to sit in a crossed leg posture with lots of other people, eating in a huge dining room, taking turns using the restrooms. It was surprising with so many people living together that everything could go so smoothly. Everyone followed the schedule.

When I finally came home, I noticed that I missed the schedule, the regularity that I had become accustomed to for those two weeks. That was surprising to me. It made me realize that yama, discipline could actually be a positive thing. It was through the discipline that things actually became easier. Previously I felt that I did not like discipline and thought that doing things when I wanted to was freedom. But ironically in being undisciplined things are actually harder and erratic.

Through the years of practicing yoga, whether it be the asanas (physical postures), the meditation, the contemplation of life, I have come to see the value in yama and how it applies to everyday life. Looking at nature like the sunrise and sunset; the waxing and waning of the moon; the change of seasons it becomes obvious that there is a certain discipline on a grander scale. And it is that discipline, that yama that allows us to always be om, to be at peace and present in our live.

No comments: