Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Pause

Today I am taking a pause between posts of the Yoga Sutra Book Two to acknowledge the Presidential Inauguration 2009. In a way, I see many similarities to this scriptural study of the Yoga Sutra.

I have been contemplating why so many people, myself included, are so moved by President Barack Obama. One of the answers I have received was reading a post from the site http://adapt2whatis.blogspot.com/2009/01/out-box.html which spoke about being out of the box. I suggest you read it. It's a great article.

The other answer came from the review of the post on January 16, 2009 Yoga Sutra I- 26- SA PURVESAM API GURUH KALENAANAVACCHEDAT- Unconditioned by time, He is the teacher of even the most ancient teachers.

Here Swami Satchidananda says "Although all knowledge is within you and you need not get it from the outside, somebody is still necessary to help you understand your own knowledge." This is why we need a teacher or guru to help us to go within and understand ourselves. From the Wikipedia - A guru (Sanskrit: गुरु, Hindi: गुरु, Bengali: গুরু) is a person who is regarded as having great knowledge, wisdom and authority in a certain area, and who uses it to guide others.

The fact that President Obama carries himself as a confident, level - headed person and who appears to be one pointed on the goal of change and hope, kind of fits him in the above role of a "guru" or "teacher". He has touched many of us to get in contact with a deeper part of ourselves. To stimulate people to want to help in the new energy of change is like being a guide, a teacher, a guru. And he hasn't even been in office for a whole day yet! If nothing else comes from this historical moment, at least people are noticing the effect this event has on them.

This I view as a positive stimulus for growth, hope and change and a pause to make this acknowledgment.

2 comments:

C. Om said...

Indeed! When we take a good look at ourselves and the way we interact as a society, we are each inspired and taught by one another. We all play the role of guru at one time or another. "Each one teach one," is one of the sayings I love.

You, yourself, have inspired and brought things to light for me. I feel that I am to return the favor to you and others a million times over.

To this one of an infinite amount of new beginnings; cheers!

bometernally said...

Again I agree with you whole heartedly about "Each one teach one".

You also have "inspired and brought things to light" for me as well. My comments are just a reflection of yours.

Cheers to great beginnings and to our constant awareness of every moment. Blessings to you C.Om