Sunday, April 19, 2009

There is Absoluteness When... YS III - 56

Yoga Sutra III - 56 - SATTVA PURUSAYOH SUDDHI SAMYE KAIVALYAM - When the tranquil mind attains purity equal to that of the Self, there is Absoluteness.

Swami Satchidananda tells us in this last sutra of Book Three - Vibhuti Pada, The Portion on Accomplishments, that "We are not here to grasp a little of this and a little of that. What is the biggest fish you can catch? The 'self-fish'. Hook that fish." Swami Satchidananda says the little things "come and tempt you, 'Hey, come on, I am here, I am here. Use me'." He tells us we should say "No; my purpose is something different. I am going straight ahead. I don't even want to stand and wait and watch the sideshows here and there'.

Swami Satchidananda further commented stating "as you progress along the spiritual path, the sideshows will tempt you." He then gives a analogy, in the form of a story, of being invited to a party by the king, who is ready to give you everything. On the journey to the party there are all kinds of variety shows, magician tricks, and music being played. They are on their way to see the king also. So when you get to see the king, they will all be there also. But if you stand there to see the shows, you will only see that and miss seeing the king.

Swami Satchidananda ends the commentary telling us never to settle for these little things. "Our goal is something very high. It is eternal peace, eternal joy. Don't settle for a little peace, for a little joy, for petty happiness."

"How to Know God - The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali" translated and commented on by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood simply says the following:

When all the thought-waves in the mind have been stilled, the mind holds nothing but pure, undifferentiated consciousness. In this state, it is one with Atman. Sri Ramakrishna used to say : "The pure mind and the Atman are the same."

4 comments:

*** said...

This was the 'message' I was looking for today... thank you~

bometernally said...

Greetings db

You are welcome.

In regard to your SS blog, it won't let me in as it says I need your permission. That's strange, as I have followed that blogsite in the past and have it on my list of blogs that I follow.

Anyway hope all is well.

Anne Partain said...

I really like this one. Thanks.

bometernally said...

You are welcome Anne. It is speaking to what true seekers need to hear and know.

Take care. {:-)